The home page and original site for the Famous Grazing Blogs

There are more than a dozen Famous Grazing Blogs residing on the cybersphere. Some are dormant and some very active. They all link back here to the Granddaddy of our blogs, founding in May of 2004.

Sunday, September 13, 2009

It Still Takes a Few Days

I watched the second plain hit.  I remember thinking "what kind of idiot would fly that close to take a look?"  I still thought the first strike was an accident.  

Growing up in Manhattan in the '50's I was used to stories of planes hitting the sky scrapers, the Empire State Building, the most infamous of them.  I thought the second plane was coming around for a look when I saw it make the the turn over the harbor.

It took a moment to set in that this was done on purpose.  It wasn't an act I thought possible.  

I soon discovered I had lost friends sent to help and workers trapped on the upper floors.  

My wife and I dined on a regular basis at Cellar in the Sky. We had even taken most of the staff out for drinks after closing.

What bothered me most this year is I didn't see it coming.  When I first wrote the date on an official document, it hit me.  It hit me so hard I had to sit.

I thought about 1949, the same amount of time after the attack on Pearl Harbor.  Did people write 12/7/49 on official paper and suddenly remember Pearl Harbor? Or then, like now, had so much war and mayhem hit them, that one barbaric act lost some of its horror?

--
----

Posted via email from grazing's posterous

No comments: