The home page and original site for the Famous Grazing Blogs

There are more than a dozen Famous Grazing Blogs residing on the cybersphere. Some are dormant and some very active. They all link back here to the Granddaddy of our blogs, founding in May of 2004.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Finished My Birthday Book

It took me a while because of the room in the house where I planted this book, but I finally finished reading Citizens of London, by Lynn Olson.

Citizens of London: The Americans Who Stood with Britain in Its Darkest, Finest Hour

Ms. Olson obviously has a crush on Gil Winant.  Based on her narrative, this was the man who should have been VP when FDR died.  If he had been instead of Harry Truman, the world would not be what it is today.  Whether that’s a good thing or not, who can tell.

After reading

Team of Rivals

a book so well constructed and researched, the random style Olson brings to history put me off at first. 

Then, after her pages on Winant’s place in dealing with  British reaction to the horrendous US racial policy imported to the UK with the American soldiers; I was able to see the point she was making about the heroics of “saving” democracy supported by the corrupted foundation of democracy itself.

I was saddened to read how Governor Winant died, but don’t go there until you finish the book.

-30- 

Technorati Tags:

No comments: