The home page and original site for the Famous Grazing Blogs

There are more than a dozen Famous Grazing Blogs residing on the cybersphere. Some are dormant and some very active. They all link back here to the Granddaddy of our blogs, founding in May of 2004.

Sunday, March 04, 2012

Book Reviews

The Charlestown ConnectionThe Charlestown Connection by Tom MacDonald
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Whenever I hear an author interviewed on NPR, I, with few exceptions, open up my Kindle Fire and download the book. I would say NPR is batting around 600. Not bad in Major League Baseball, even better in minor league book review.

Tom MacDonald seemed to be the real thing, a local who wrote about his own streets, his own people. I live and work not far from these same streets so my interest was certainly captured. In fact we recently had visitors from Australia who rented a house boat in the same harbor where some of the action takes place.

While reading The Charelestown Connection, it can be said Mr. MacDonald knows his streets and the people who occupy them. Each of his characters are well represented by his writing. From the IRA to displaced Native Americans to the FBI, he has created an interesting crew.

Then there is the plot. Far fetched is being kind.

Not to be a spoiler I won't go into at all. Suspend disbelief, enjoy the writing and hope Mr. MacDonald can find a more grounded and fulsome plot for his antagonist and the surrounding supporting players in his hopefully soon to be published second novel.

View all my reviews

No comments: