The home page and original site for the Famous Grazing Blogs

There are more than a dozen Famous Grazing Blogs residing on the cybersphere. Some are dormant and some very active. They all link back here to the Granddaddy of our blogs, founding in May of 2004.

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Itchy soles

I am imbedded in Fire in the Mind, the detailed but well written biography of Joseph Campbell. He is currently in Paris, it is 1927 and Sylvia Beach is walking him through the writings of James Joyce.

Looking deeper into the life of Sylvia Beach it was pure Parisian. She even had a man recreate her bookstore and was left the store’s name in her will. He named his daughter after Sylvia. Though I am not a bibliophile, I am an avid reader in all media. I do, on occasion like to be in the company of people who love books for books sake.

The Zen saying about reading being the same as scratching the sole of another’s shoe to relieve an itch on your own foot still hangs over me when I get too into books alone as an escape, rather than an entertainment.

=30=

No comments: