The home page and original site for the Famous Grazing Blogs

There are more than a dozen Famous Grazing Blogs residing on the cybersphere. Some are dormant and some very active. They all link back here to the Granddaddy of our blogs, founding in May of 2004.

Sunday, November 21, 2004

A molocule
Every once in a while I like to post this bugger so that something is moving on this blog.

This is a rare Saturday where I have little business.
All of October and last Saturday were consumed in the Not for Profit thing I call my job.

Did I mention Payroll screwed up my direct deposit?

How easily we come to depend on the things we have allowed computers to do automatically.

How upset we become when a glitch, and the world is full of them, throws our newly ordered,
automatic lifestyle into momentary chaos.

As a child I had the rare privilege of being allowed to stand and watch the other side of the Automat wall.

From the front, freshly prepared food miraculously appeared behind the glass doors with the bronze handles.

A few nickels in the slot, a pull of the ornate handle and the door opened, the food was yours.

If you turned around and looked through the glass a moment later, there would be something
new in the box.

On the other side of the wall were dozens of workers. Some cooking, some baking, cutting,
cleaning and just placing the fine china plates in the hole.

The plates were white china, the silverware, heavy stainless steel. You drank from glasses
made of glass and heavy coffee mugs. All the comforts of home.

I miss the Automats...

=30=

No comments: