The home page and original site for the Famous Grazing Blogs

There are more than a dozen Famous Grazing Blogs residing on the cybersphere. Some are dormant and some very active. They all link back here to the Granddaddy of our blogs, founding in May of 2004.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Disc Space Warning

Walter puttering

Image by sgtret via Flickr

I was surprised by a warning popping up that my 200 Gigabyte hard drive was near capacity.  As someone who started using a PC with two 360 Kilobyte floppies the idea that I could’ve loaded that much data was beyond my ability to comprehend.

I ran the default disc clean option in MS Properties.  This saved a few Megabytes here and there, but still not enough to guarantee optimal operation.  So, most naturally, I said, I’ll get rid of a few of my lesser used programs.

When I started the default MS uninstall utility it took, and I kid you not, almost one half of an hour to fully load the list of installed programs.  Hoo!

No Problem!  Right?  Errr….

The first program I tried to remove was bonjour from Apple.  It was installed automatically with Apple Safari.  When I deleted Safari, I tried to get rid of bonjour with it. 

After several tries, I gave up. That was then.  I tried again with MS uninstaller.  It still would not go away.

After some research, I downloaded Revo Uninstaller.

It deleted bonjour with no problem. Then I deleted digsby and ConceptDrawVI, both programs instead of which I knew I was using other software.

The fast reload feature of Revo Uninstaller allowed me to see the complete list of programs installed on my hard drive.  Like the TLC show where they come into your house and throw out or sell all of the ‘stuff’ you rarely or never use, I went though the list of software and noted all that applies to that formulae.

This is the list of what I have or will soon remove:

bonjour
digsby
dexpot
copernic desk suite
conceptDrawVI 
doPDF 6.1 printer
Easy DVD Copy
eBay Desktop
ENC TNT Screen Capture 2.1
ecto for Windows??
EphPod
EPSON Printer Software
EPSON Web to Page
eReader
Eudora
Eudora (8.0.0b3)
FastPictureViewer
FastStone Image Viewer 3.6
FastStone Player
FormatFactory
FotoTagger 2.5.0.1
Foxit Reader
Free Hide Folder
Free Commander
Fresh Diagnose
FreshView
Froddle Pod
Futuriz Imager 5.9
FWD Softphone
GCalDaemaon V1.0
HotspotShield
IncrediMail Xe
Inkscape 0.4.5
Jarte 3.0 Beta2
jExplorer 1.8.0.1
Joost (tm) beta
1.06a
Karen's Replicator
Launchy 1.25
Melon 3.03
mIRC
Miro
Moffsoft FreeCalc
Mulberry
Newzie0.99.9
NSIS FreePOPs
Nvu 1.00
ooVooP2Edit 1.0.2008
P2SafeNotes
PaintStar 2.70
Pandora
PeaZip 2.2008
PhotoFiltre
Photology
PotoPerfectExpress
PostBox (1.0b.10)
PowerDVD
Pownce
Q10Editor
QuickTime Alternatives
Quotepad 2.0.2
RarZilla Free Unrar
Registry Easy v3.00
Remove Empty Directories
RSS Bandit
SJPhone
Skyhook Wireless WiFi Service
Snitter
Softdata Fax Modem
sonic Encoders
SpiralFrog Download Manager
Spreadtweet 2003
Streamripper
TechProWorldClock
TetrisZone
TextMakerView
TweakUI
Tweaker For Outlook Express
Unix Utility for Yahoo! Widgets
Video Enhacer 1.9.10
VirtualDub Filter Pack
w.bloggar 4.2003
Wakoopa
WheresJamesStartup Manager
Whisher 2.0
Wildbit Viewer
Winam
Winamp Remote
Winamp Toolbar for Firefox
Wordpod
WordToys
WordWeb Pro
Zempt 0.4
Zoundry Blog Writer
ZScreen 1.10
ZuneDesktopTheme

Some of these I remember installing, but mostly not.

I considered using the new Bing search engine to look up each of these , but decided if I didn’t know what they were, I didn’t use them.

Of course, the Murphy laws of computer use will make sure the one program I do delete is crucial to the operation of this computer. 

Even knowing this; I plan to plough ahead and take them all out.

If this results in any adventures, I will be sure to report them here… If I can.
-30-

LiveJournal Tags:

No comments: