The home page and original site for the Famous Grazing Blogs

There are more than a dozen Famous Grazing Blogs residing on the cybersphere. Some are dormant and some very active. They all link back here to the Granddaddy of our blogs, founding in May of 2004.

Friday, December 24, 2004

I jumped ship, but the siren calls


It didn't take long for me to jump from the Opera ship and onto the ocean liner that has become Firefox.

The kick is now Opera is releasing a beta version to be called Opera 8.

The oddest thing I have read about it so far is the voice recognition software. It will be imbedded in the structure. I could see this as a plug-in for those in need of such a feature, but why weigh the software down?

The feature that took me away from Opera was the open ended email. Not the sort to check mail boxes to see if the mail has gone down, or even to read the ingredient list on fast food, I was still wondering what email I missed trusting to its style of delivery.

Thunderbird has a similiar One Inbox feature for all the types of mail you have delivered, but inside the workings of the machine, you still set up how each mail box is treated. It also sets the filters up for so easily, I don't even think twice about setting a filter for a message that will probably be the only one from that particular source.

Then there is Sunbird. It's a calendar, a PIM of sorts. I have played with it, it works, but then so do the other dozen or so PIM's I have tried down the years. A database is pretty much a database. The three I use at the moment are Locust Notes at work, Palm Desktop at work and on my palm and Time and Chaos on my laptop.

I have been using Time and Chaos since it had a DOS interface.

The amount of information I have put into that program is personally staggering. It has a Palm interface, but I don't think I want half of what I have in Time and Chaos to fill all the memory. This also gives me a chance to keep work somewhat at work and my personal information seperate.

The Palm is the bridge. I don't know how I lived before it existed.

This has become the time of year for lists of best blog sites. I won't bore you with my opinions, in general. The one I am having the most fun with right now is flickr.com. Like toys at christmas, we'll see how long it lasts.

To those for whom it means something, Merry Christmas.

=30=

No comments: