The home page and original site for the Famous Grazing Blogs

There are more than a dozen Famous Grazing Blogs residing on the cybersphere. Some are dormant and some very active. They all link back here to the Granddaddy of our blogs, founding in May of 2004.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

THE OFFLINE BLUES

THE OFFLINE BLUES     

Considering what is going on down along the Gulf Coast along with the misery inflicting the world in general, it seems a little petty to complain about Comcast losing service to my neighborhood.  So, I’ll be petty this morning without asking for pity.

This is Saturday morning.  We have been without Internet service since Wednesday afternoon.  I have not felt the brunt of it until this morning because we are connected at work.  However, as anyone who works in Corporate America knows, personal use of the Internet, especially for blogging, is Verboten.

Our online banking and webpage modification for other people can’t be done under the corporate umbrella.  Well, it CAN be done, but from where I sit, I know it shouldn’t be done, so I won’t do it.  I can go to CNN.Com and check the news and weather, but I can’t go to MyYahoo! or Gmail, email.com, etc.  That is all personal and I really don’t want my personal information floating around on the corporate “temporary” cache.  Neither should you.

What this is giving me is time to explore the offline features of software usually connected to the Internet. This is being written in MS Word with the Google “Blog This“plug-in installed.   I just tried Word’s scrap on the last paragraph.  It was a choice about which I knew nothing until I saw on the tips feature by Amber McArthur on Leo LaPorte’s Call For Help show out of Toronto.  That was a show we TiVo’d before the cable blackout.  We love TiVo!

But we will now miss the shows from Wednesday to today.  I know, boo-hoo.  When the service is restored this will be come a “Hello Mother, Hello Father” letter from summer camp, but I need to write something or I will go blind.  Okay maybe not blind, but I will definitely lose my skills as a blogger.
=30=

No comments: