The home page and original site for the Famous Grazing Blogs

There are more than a dozen Famous Grazing Blogs residing on the cybersphere. Some are dormant and some very active. They all link back here to the Granddaddy of our blogs, founding in May of 2004.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Taking The Week Off Listening to News

Words in Conflict - Part OneOn the way to work on Monday I was listening to NPR. This is not shock-jock radio. Thoughtful, considered commentary and reporting. Perhaps it was this that did it, but when I heard the comments about World War III coming from the Oval Office, I just turned off the radio. I brought me back to the days in grammar school when we ducked and covered on a regular basis for the upcoming Soviet invasion.

Then this morning I read an article in the online International Herald Tribune regarding the partitioning of Iraq. Historically speaking, this is an excellent idea. The country was formed on the whim of a British woman after the breakup of the Ottoman Empire. It is said in all that is written about the wisdom of this partition that no ethnic research whatsoever was used.

Pure whim. Perhaps now, with intelligent examination and the participation of the people who live there, a reasonable solution to this can be found.

What I want to know is why wasn't this worked out BEFORE the invansion? Isn't that way things were done in the good old days, when invading countries was a sport for Britain and the other European powers?

Thinking this gave me a huge headache. This is why I am taking a week off from the news.

-30-

Powered by Zoundry

No comments: