The home page and original site for the Famous Grazing Blogs

There are more than a dozen Famous Grazing Blogs residing on the cybersphere. Some are dormant and some very active. They all link back here to the Granddaddy of our blogs, founding in May of 2004.

Saturday, April 22, 2006

A Disaster or a Cleansing? Computer Crash.

It would be a disaster if I had not bought the Workbook exterior hardrive and ran the included back-up utility the week before the crash. 

Ten years worth of writing and work would have disappeared like rust on plastic. I’ve made back ups to CD on several occassion but I cannot claim any organization to that.  To speak the truth, most of the stuff backed up on CD’s really was to take the information for use someplace else.

Now that I’ve returned the information, or most of what I need now to the recovered laptop; I am amazed about the amount of crap that had piled up. Going to my RoboForm toolbar, the database for which I had backed up on the NetVibes Box.net widget, I could see the pages and pages of sign-ons I’d collected while acquiring all of the junk.

Now most of it is gone.  I decided only to install software as the need for it arises, instead of doing a blanket recovery. The one I missed this morning was the CLOCX analog clock I kept in the corner of my second screen. It is a cute utility that displays an analog clock with many different faces available. It will optionally display the date and AM PM. It also has a calendar with reminders I use on a regular bases to remind me of things told to me over the phone.

What I am missing is the iCal compatible calendar I had installed to act in conjunction with google calendar. As with GMail, I have turned my life completely over the google calendar. Thankfully the crash had no effect on Gmail or Google Calendar.

The local calendar I had found worked perfectly with it.  I will spend the next half hour searching for in the places I go to find software.

Then I’ll do the laundry. It’s nice to have priorities.
=3O=

No comments: