The home page and original site for the Famous Grazing Blogs

There are more than a dozen Famous Grazing Blogs residing on the cybersphere. Some are dormant and some very active. They all link back here to the Granddaddy of our blogs, founding in May of 2004.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Aggressive Updaters

Technorati Tags:

Let it be known to start I am sure that I agreed in the set-up to allow for active updates. It is my default behavior. AIR asked, in a pop up box on the desktop, if it could update AIR. Being busy with a half dozen open windows, including this blog writer, I took a moment to tick the agree box and went back to my business. The update progress box buried itself behind the open windows on the second screen.

Then, with no apparent cause, everything ground to a halt. I couldn‘t even bring up Ctrl-Alt-Delete to tell me where the problem lay. I am patient with the PC. It does get moody occasionally. This usually happens for a few moment while the AVG virusware starts grinding its machinery into action.

But no, this was a total freeze of the system. I went to make a pot of tea to see if it would work itself out. After an hour, nope.

I cold booted and every thing worked fine.This is except the blog I had just written regarding the RSS feed reader in Opera was no more. I had no energy left to write it over so we‘ll leave that for another day.

Before people start wagging their fingers, I KNOW. Save and close all windows before installing or upgrading. IKNOW!!! It was just that this pop up box wasn't so much saying it was going to do anything drastic. It was more of a “pardon me, do you mind if I do this thing while you continue working?“

Mea Culpa. Mea Culpa Maximus. Caveat AIR Updater.

No comments: