The home page and original site for the Famous Grazing Blogs

There are more than a dozen Famous Grazing Blogs residing on the cybersphere. Some are dormant and some very active. They all link back here to the Granddaddy of our blogs, founding in May of 2004.

Saturday, June 12, 2004

Appointment Cancelled, Oh Dear!!

As I am sure anyone reading this has done, I have cancelled many an appointment with dentists and doctors. This morning was the first time one of them cancelled with me. It threw my entire Saturday off. I had intended to drag myself out of the house because I HAD to go to the dentist. Now that I don't HAVE to, a severe case of malingering has overcome me.
=
I associate this with the one day I showed up at the door of our grammar school to find it was closed. ALL of the other children's parents had been notified. If you knew anything about my childhood, you would know why I didn't get the news. Here I was, a child of ten or so. As far as my family unit, what there was of it, was concerned, I was at school. As far as the school was concerned, I was home.
=
A ten year old boy, off the radar in Manhattan on a perfectly good week day.
It was the first time in my life I was overwhelmed by the options before me. I could go anywhere in the city.
The subway was at my command. It was dime back then, or free if you snuck under the turnstyle while the token clerk was distracted. I could have gone to the Bronx Zoo, Broadway, Central Park, Inwood Hill Park anywhere in the wonderous city.
It was too, too much. I took out a book, read a little. Played a little ball in the school yard and went home. I put myself back on the screen.
=
Too many options hurts. That's why when I considered turning on the TV, the 375 stations now available on TiVo-via-cable was just too much. Oh for the days of Your Show of Shows and Milton Berle's Texaco Hour!
Wait! I think one of those stations lists the old shows. Let me go to the Cable website and see... Elaine Stritch at Liberty. A documentary on her road to her first Emmy. Not and old show but a show about an old broad. And I mean 'broad' as a title, like Dame in the UK. =30=

No comments: