The home page and original site for the Famous Grazing Blogs

There are more than a dozen Famous Grazing Blogs residing on the cybersphere. Some are dormant and some very active. They all link back here to the Granddaddy of our blogs, founding in May of 2004.

Monday, June 07, 2004

The Home of the Brave...

.......
Let's talk about wanting to grow up and have an adventurous life. Much of my youth was spent wandering the streets of lower Manhattan. I would have breakfast in a Greek diner, lunch in an Italian corner store and dinner at the home of many of my Asian friends. There was always a first generation Greek, Italian, or Chinese person doing the cooking.
.
I would talk to them about their coming to America. About what an adventure it was for them to leave what they knew and come to a place they had seen in movies and on TV. I had a lot of trouble seeing what they saw in America, or to be more accurate, Manhattan.
.
This was my hometown. Like any other kid, I found my hometown to be boring, nothing to do I hadn't done before.
I wanted to go someplace really interesting, like the Tahiti in Mutiny on the Bounty, (Clark Gable version.) I wanted to roam the dunes of North Africa, cut my way though the jungles of Tarzan, (2nd movie, if you've seen it, you know what I mean.)
I wanted to fight Nazis, gangsters, Gentleman Anybody. If I walked away with a black eye, or better yet, my arm in a sling, so much the better.
.
(I must write an entire piece on the Hollywood cure-all for all hero injuries, the arm in a sling, one of these days.)
.
In real life, I have fought gangsters, sailed on both the Atlantic and the Pacific. I have been in more than one jungle and just a few years ago, walked on the dunes of the Sahara.
.
In my one good boxing match I was knocked cold and am told flew through the air rather gracefully. The man that knocked me out wasn't much of a gentleman.
I have had bullets crack past my ears, (they don't whistle.) I have been stabbed, hit by cars and trucks. I suffered heat stroke in the swamps off the South Carolina Coast and while force marching in the Mohave Desert. I've walked away with a little more than a black eye and don't ever remember wearing a sling.
.
The point here is do I feel like I've had an adventurous life. So far, so good.
.
My latest adventure is working for Corporate America. If you think that bland; I have to tell you on Friday, I was required to attend a class on what to do when confronted with a suicide bomber. It was a gruesome and frank lesson; given by a former member of the Isreali security forces.
.
Perhaps today's Corporate America is a little more than an adventure than I thought it would be. Wish me luck. =30=

No comments: