The home page and original site for the Famous Grazing Blogs

There are more than a dozen Famous Grazing Blogs residing on the cybersphere. Some are dormant and some very active. They all link back here to the Granddaddy of our blogs, founding in May of 2004.

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Joni Mitchell Puts If to Music.

There is an article on NPR.com about Joni Mitchell and her latest music. It is worth reading of you are a fan, or planning to become one in the near future. I listened to some of the cuts featured on the site and watched the provided video of Ms. Mitchell singing her coyote song on a 1979 tour. This was all good for me.

What I, being a fan of Rudyard Kipling, found most fascinating was the song she did putting his poem If to music. Very nice. Very nice indeed. As I was listening to it, rendered mostly word for word from the original, I wondered how she would handle to final five words.

She changed them. Much in the same way the man who recently re-recorded her song Yellow Taxi modified the last words of that song to fit in with his gender.

I have no problem with this. It is the general message, akin to the now popular lists used to manage life, that I love. I read it to my son every year on his birthday. I don’t change the last five words.
-30-

Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: