The home page and original site for the Famous Grazing Blogs

There are more than a dozen Famous Grazing Blogs residing on the cybersphere. Some are dormant and some very active. They all link back here to the Granddaddy of our blogs, founding in May of 2004.

Sunday, July 25, 2004

A little bit more about Leonard Cohen...-

Though I know he is best known for his music, I was first introduced to Leonard Cohen though his writing, his poetry. I was in the local book store, on Broadway and 12th Street in Manhattan, looking for the poetry of Sarah Teasdale.


I was browsing though the books of poetry on the shelf when I came upon a short poem:

Come up to my room,
I was thinking of you
and made a pass at myself.

© Leonard Cohen

Leonard Cohen Collection

Once in a while something grabs you, takes hold and makes you want more. That short poem made me want more. To a smaller degree, Champagne Charlie a song by Leon Redbone caught my attention and caused me to go out and buy all there is of his stuff.

Neither the poem nor the song mentioned were the best works of either men. They were the point in time and space where we intersected, where they caused me to look aside and notice them.

We come to many intersections in life, most just blur by like the signs in local stations as you ride the express. Like Mr. G, or Neil Gaiman mentioned below, I just happened by them and stopped to look, to listen. My life is richer for it.
=30=

No comments: