The home page and original site for the Famous Grazing Blogs

There are more than a dozen Famous Grazing Blogs residing on the cybersphere. Some are dormant and some very active. They all link back here to the Granddaddy of our blogs, founding in May of 2004.

Saturday, July 24, 2004

Newspapers - They might as well be made of stone.

The is coming to town.

Boston has developed a mentality similar to that I experienced while living along the coastline of the Carolinas during hurricane season. There were those who went on about their business, there were those who boarded up, stored emergency supplies and stuck it out and there were those who packed up and moved inland.

I have seen all three over the past few weeks. The dire predictions have been projected by the mass media, but most hysterically by our self-esteemed daily papers, the Herald and The Globe. You would think we were already under attack with the dire warnings about pending this and pending that. We are to expect the 1968 Chicago Convention compounded by terrorist, both foreign and domestic, "activity."

It is the activity justified by the need for "security" I have found myself fearing more than anything else.

There is the pizza shop that displayed a pro-Bush banner across the street from The Fleet Center that was told it had to take the banner down because they lacked a permit.

Though I may disagree with the sentiment expressed by the banner, the act of making them take it down makes me sick to my stomach. In defiance the store owner is leaving the banner up and closing for the week of the convention. I hope the foreign press covered this little side story. That way I can read about what really happened in The Guardian.

We were told to double our expected commuter time. I have a feeling, at least for Monday and Tuesday, the time will instead be cut in half. A lot of people have chosen the option of moving inland to avoid the storm. It is Summer, it is vacation time. I pity the people on the The Cape.

If I am wrong about this, I will say so here.=30=

No comments: