The home page and original site for the Famous Grazing Blogs

There are more than a dozen Famous Grazing Blogs residing on the cybersphere. Some are dormant and some very active. They all link back here to the Granddaddy of our blogs, founding in May of 2004.

Saturday, July 10, 2004

My father

While walking around The City with my son, I had a vague recollection of doing the same with my father about a half century ago. I remembered the brown suit, the fedora and the thin red mustache on his ruddy skin. What I couldn't conjure up was his face.
-
He left our household before I have any real memory of his being there. I have a memory of his things being there, large photographs of people in tuxedos sitting around huge tables; gathered in cavernous halls. I remember the oddly frozen faces all staring up expectantly, waiting for the flash. I remember trying to find my father's face in the crowd, almost always failing.
-
I remember his sailor hat from the The War.
-
A photo I have of him was taken before I was born. He is standing next to my mother, both seemingly dressed for a fancy dress ball with a '40s theme. She's smiling and he has the same expression I've always seen on photos of Dashiell Hammett.
Dashiell Hammet, not my father.
-
He was thin, too thin. The suit hung on him, like it was cut for a bigger man. On his lapel is the ruptured duck worn by veterans of the war. I have a feeling the photo was taken very soon after his return from the Pacific theatre.
-
The only other photo of him we have was taken on Rye Beach sometime in the early '50s. It is of him, in slacks and a shirt, the shade from the fedora hiding the facial features. He is standing behind my brothers and I.
-
We're dressed in bathing suits. I barely come up to his knee. He has one hand on my shoulder. I don't think it was a touch of affection. More likely to keep me in place long enough for the Kodak Brownie to snap.
-
He either left soon after this was taken, or it was a rare weekend we all spent with him after he left.
-
He died in 1985 while I was living in San Francisco. I had returned from a visit to New York the day before he died. It didn't even cross my mind to see him while I was there.
-
His girlfriend called me asking me to tell him to go to the doctor. When he got on the phone, I asked him to act like I was telling him to go to the doctor, but that I knew he would do as he damned well pleased. He thanked be for being so understanding and hung up.
-
So, to me, my father's last words were to thank me for being so understanding.
-
It was his wish to be cremated; his ashes spread over the waves of the Atlantic Ocean.
-
The ashes are still in a cardboard box, wrapped in brown paper. It sits on top of the hot water heater in our oldest brother's garage in south Jersey.
-
That's fine with the four of us.
=30=

No comments: